Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

10.13.2008

Peripheral Vision

Peripheral vision, also known as side vision is a part of vision that occurs outside the very center of gaze. There is a broad set of non-central points in the field of view that is included in the notion of peripheral vision.

Many ungulates (hoofed mammals) can see nearly all the way behind them due to the position of the eyes on the sides of the head. This is an evolutionary adaptation to being the prey of many predators. Horses, deer, and antelope also fall into this category.

Chameleons and sea horses are able to move each of their eyes independently - they can swivel their eyes so that they point directly backwards, and thus see behind them without turning their heads.

Owls can see behind them without turning their bodies, since their heads can swivel almost 180 degrees. This is an adaptation to the fact that they cannot move their eyes - they are so huge that there is no room inside the skull for muscles to move them. They must therefore turn their heads to change their line of sight.

Rabbit eyes are placed high and to the sides of the skull, allowing the rabbit to see nearly 360 degrees, as well as far above their head.

Parrots, like most prey animals have eyes that are widely spaced, on either side of the head. This allows for a wide range of vision (almost a 360 degree field of sight in some species.) This means these birds can see things coming at them from almost any direction and angle.

The chameleon's eyes are the most distinctive among the reptiles. Each eye has a scaly lid shaped like a cone, with only a small, round opening in the middle for the pupil.

The chameleon can rotate and focus its eyes separately to look at two different objects at the same time. This gives it a full 360-degree view around its body. When the chameleon sees prey, both eyes can focus in the same direction to get a clearer view.

In all of the examples above, animals don't just see what's in front of them, they see around them. People can learn a lot form animals. We usually look at something from our point of view, but we rarely considered the view of the person looking at us.

Try this experiment. The next time you disagree with someone, try looking at it from their perspective. Exercise your peripheral vision and see if you get a different angle? Expand your view and see how it expands your consciousness.

Do you have an opinion that could use a little expansion? How can you expand your view of your existence? What comes to mind?

27 comments:

Liara Covert 10/13/2008 4:54 PM

People rarely think that part of them is connected to every creature. This would imply that we all have a much wider breadth of faculties and reach than we realize or use on a regular basis. The world around us is constantly sending us messages to explore what we can do. No external force is as effective a guide as you can be to rediscover your innate truth. Imagine you have more than invisible eyes on the side of your head.

confused 10/13/2008 7:21 PM

interesting and true as well looking at things with a different perspective is enlightning although you have to be prepared to see some things you would rather not periodically

Alexys Fairfield 10/13/2008 9:31 PM

Liara,
Yes, we are all connected to every creature which means that we have more than a million eyes. Imagine if we tapped into that knowledge - we would see over horizons and oceans, for miles and miles. :D

Alexys Fairfield 10/13/2008 9:34 PM

Robert,
That would be scary seeing something we didn't expect, but still enlightening.

Perky 10/13/2008 10:01 PM

That's a very good way of getting people to be more open minded and be more receiving towards different opinions.

NathanKP 10/14/2008 7:24 AM

That is a really neat idea. I have fairly good peripheral vision in that I can see things off to the side of my line of sight rather well.

But I never associated that with looking at things from another person's point of view.

Another aspect: Usually predators have eyesight focused almost straight ahead for spotting their prey. Animals that are preyed upon have the peripheral vision so they can watch out for danger.

NathanKP - Imagination Manifesto

Mark 10/14/2008 7:58 AM

Interesting analogy and I learned some things about animals that I did not know. Very well done!

searchingwithin 10/14/2008 8:00 AM

What an interesting article, and an ingenious way to make your point.

~Best Wishes~

Max 10/14/2008 10:01 AM

Hey lovely Lady A! :D

Fantastic post! I love its structure and the lesson is transmits!

Now let me comment on your delightful observations...

I also agree that we, humans, have a lot to learn with animals. We are so used to look at things from our own perspective that we fail to be generous towards the counterpart.
That is why I always try to give a chance to people. I have a personal rule: a person may mess up with me once, I will give him/her an opportunity to explain themselves (for I wish to comprehend them), if the person messes up again...then I will try to be patient and understand that that person is only human, however I may step aside (in order to protect myself).

"Do you have an opinion that could use a little expansion?" - Hmmm...let me see...yes, I do: I have an opinion on certain political systems. For example, I have a certain discomfort towards communists and their behaviours, opinions and thoughts. But I am getting better, I am becoming more tolerant...still, I do not accept it (however I don't attack them as much as I used to).

"How can you expand your view of your existence?" - through meditation, a lot of meditation. I have a very unusual way of looking at my existence. I admit that I am here, that I must interact with others, I am an extremely happy person but at the same time I know that this is not reality, and that this is not Home...am I making sense to you?

"What comes to mind?" - right now, what comes to mind in order to expand my vision of life is children. I believe that when I have kids, I will look at life with other eyes (and perhaps be less focused on Home, and more about home; know what I mean?)...I will feel so blessed, I will lose myself in the love for my derivatives that I feel like that love will expand to the world...

Alexys, this post is powerful, for it transports us to other realms of thought: thank you *bowing*!

Expansion Cheers

Miruh 10/14/2008 10:14 AM

To expand your view of your existence beyond perception through the five senses is to align to your inner knowing. We have suppressed this way of seeing because as children we have learned that by general consensus it is abnormal. We have to take ownership again of true seeing, with our entire being.
Very interesting post Alexys, thanks!

Maithri 10/14/2008 11:57 AM

Dear Alexys,

So good to read your gentle wisdom once again.

There are so many opinions that we all have which need expanding...

One I'm working on at the moment ;) is the way i perceive this presidential race... trying to leave behind the us vs them mentality...

I think essentially thats what a lot of 'expanding our vision' is about... when we can see things from anothers perspective or from a different angle... then we grow closer to an awareness of our oneness with one another,

My love to you beautiful one,

M

searchingwithin 10/14/2008 12:54 PM

I have become a fan of your blog, and have left you an award. Hope you like it.

Alexys Fairfield 10/14/2008 1:40 PM

Perky,
You can always find something a little different here. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Alexys Fairfield 10/14/2008 1:42 PM

Nathan,
We learn something new everyday. I never knew all those animals had such amazing vision until I researched. Often people will only see what's in front of them and not consider a side view.

"Animals that are preyed upon have the peripheral vision so they can watch out for danger."

Good point!

Alexys Fairfield 10/14/2008 1:43 PM

Hi Mark,
How have you been? I know, busy. We all learn when we keep our eyes open. :D

Alexys Fairfield 10/14/2008 1:43 PM

Searchingwithin,
Thank you so much. Just another point of view. ;D Hope to see you again soon.

Alexys Fairfield 10/14/2008 2:11 PM

Hi Max,

"Fantastic post! I love its structure and the lesson is transmits!"

Thanks. I kept it short and sweet.

"We are so used to look at things from our own perspective that we fail to be generous towards the counterpart."

We do and they are the ones who deserve our utmost attention.

"I try to read things from the other person's perspective and then act, and speak, accordingly. But sometimes it is very hard to do so, I confess. I must be very cool, extremely focused."

It IS hard, even for an equanimous person such as myself.

"I have an opinion on certain political systems. For example, I have a certain discomfort towards communists and their behaviours, opinions and thoughts. But I am getting better, I am becoming more tolerant...still, I do not accept it (however I don't attack them as much as I used to)."

"I have a very unusual way of looking at my existence. I admit that I am here, that I must interact with others, I am an extremely happy person but at the same time I know that this is not reality, and that this is not Home...am I making sense to you?"

I got cha. You are IN the world but not OF it.

"I believe that when I have kids, I will look at life with other eyes (and perhaps be less focused on Home, and more about home; know what I mean?)...I will feel so blessed, I will lose myself in the love for my derivatives that I feel like that love will expand to the world."

Thanks for adding such dimension to this section.

Dimension Cheers

Alexys Fairfield 10/14/2008 2:16 PM

Miruh,
Yes we do have to take ownership, take the bull by the horns and live life with love and relentless passion. Experience everything and make everything an experience. Life is a journey.

Alexys Fairfield 10/14/2008 2:26 PM

Hi Maithri,
You have been away too long. You always bring a smile to my heart with your presence.

This presidential race is really transcending on many levels. It is hard to see the truth as it is spewed from a politician's mouth. (sigh)

Seeing IS awareness just as awareness is seeing.

Much love and light to you my darling.

Alexys Fairfield 10/14/2008 2:28 PM

Searchingwithin,
Thank you so much for thinking of me. Thanks for a great award.

Max 10/15/2008 8:12 AM

Hello Lady A!!

"Thanks. I kept it short and sweet."

You are welcome, dear! LOL indeed....

"We do and they are the ones who deserve our utmost attention."

Absolutely!! Now you have said it all!

"I think we generally tolerate people and then they do things in which we don't agree. That may cause us to be a little cautious and non trusting. I too, will often give people the benefit of the doubt and then I watch as they destroy themselves. I observe the difference between thy will and thy will be done. And yes, you are right, we have to protect ourselves."

I have no problems with people not agreeing with me, but once they begin disrespecting others, backstabbing, harming me or my family (and friends)...oh boy...then it's a mess. It is one of the nuances of human relationships and it is interesting to lay back and (like you) observe...

"It IS hard, even for an equanimous person such as myself."

I can imagine...

"That is understandable coming from a non communist country. Those who live in those countries have come to accept that as a part of their life. Do you think they are happy or they realize they can't do anything about it - except perhaps flee the country?"

But the whole political system is proved to be a complete failure.

"I got cha. You are IN the world but not OF it."

Yes, you got it/me :D!

"Children do change your perspective because then you see life through their eyes. You will be blessed to have them and bestow them with love and graciousness. You will make a good mother. (Remember I am psychic.)"

Thank you Lady A, the great psychic *happy face*! That is a good prediction :D!

"Thanks for adding such dimension to this section."

You are welcome, darling, most welcome *bowing*!

Gracious Cheers

Shinade 10/15/2008 8:17 AM

Hi Alexys,
This is very interesting today. Of course I enjoy every read here.

I don't know if I would enjoy peripheral vision or not.

I am so simple that I am satisfied with the way God designed me.

Great post and very enlightening.

Alexys Fairfield 10/15/2008 11:38 AM

Hi Max,

"I have no problems with people not agreeing with me, but once they begin disrespecting others, backstabbing, harming me or my family (and friends)...oh boy...then it's a mess."

"It is one of the nuances of human relationships and it is interesting to lay back and (like you) observe."

"I think that most realised that there is nothing they can do about it; but then we have those very few (who live well) that are happy because they benefit from the system.
But the whole political system is proved to be a complete failure."

Happy Face Cheers.

Alexys Fairfield 10/15/2008 11:42 AM

Hi Shinade,

Thanks for your generous sentiments. We already have peripheral vision, sometimes it is hidden behind blinders. (like a blind spot.)

I know that you are beautiful just the way God designed you and I especially love your hat.

Blessings to you my dear and I am glad you're feeling better.

Max 10/16/2008 7:36 AM

Hi Alexys,

"We all have our thorns don't we? The question is, do we remove them gently or forcefully? (Either way gets the job done.)"

We do (and I kind of like mine LOL). Hmmm, I think we should remove them gently, but we never know....

"I am not always the observer, sometimes I simultaneously participate and observe. (Sort of like lucid dreaming, when you are very aware that you are dreaming and you can experience it on many levels at once.)"

I know what you mean! But I confess that I observe more than I participate, even though I seem to be in the middle of events all the time *nodding*...it's weird.

"I agree. I saw a documentary on Fidel Castro. Many people love him while others hate him for what he has done."

"Max, you are loved. You will have many more happy faces and soon little baby happy faces. :D"

Smiley Face Cheers.

Alexys Fairfield 10/16/2008 11:25 AM

Hi Max,

"We do (and I kind of like mine LOL). Hmmm, I think we should remove them gently, but we never know."

Or kicking and screaming. LOL.

"That is an excellent example. The ones that love him, are those who benefitted from his regime. I was shocked to learn that the majority couldn't buy electric appliances, nor own cellphones until Fidel's brother stepped in...outraging *nodding*."

Very true.

"Oooh, from your lips to God's ears! Thank you so much...you are so kind *tender face*!"

Thank you for a great intellectual ride my dear.

Smiley Face Cheers.

Max 10/17/2008 8:21 AM

Hi Alexys,

"Or kicking and screaming. LOL."

LOL as long as it works, anything goes LOL....*nodding*.

"Thank you for a great intellectual ride my dear."

:D my pleasure, darling, my pleasure!!

Big smile Cheers